Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Reason To Live

I had a student who once asked me,

"What is the point of staying alive when we're all going to die at some point of time? Why do we torture ourselves to study and then torture ourselves again to work just to stay alive when our lives are going to end anyway?"

I told him, "We stay alive to do the things we like to do, to be with the people we want to be with. Some caveman way back in time recognised that the key to survival in society was competition. If you want food, you better hunt for it yourself. If you put in more energy, you gather more food and have a better chance of survival. Hence if you want to continue to live to do the things you like, for eg. eat expensive ice cream with your girlfriend, you better study hard and get a good job with good pay to afford these things. That's the point of studying and working hard. And you live so that you can eat nice ice cream and be with your girlfriend. That's the point of living."

I got a blank stare from him. Heh.

The only person I'm living for now is Eugene.

The only thing I'm living for now is YouTube.

Ok and maybe my cca too. That's 2 things. [:

No comments: