Thursday, October 30, 2008

Choosing wedding photos rant

I have to RANT so *warning* long post ahead.

Yesterday I left school a bit earlier to choose our wedding photos from the bunch they took from our indoor and outdoor shoots. Before I left my married-with-kids colleague told me to stay firm and not get too easily swayed by their hard-sell tactics and fork out too much extra cash for additional wedding photos and then later regret it. I have heard stories about couples running into debt doing this whole wedding thing and needing to borrow money just so that they can pay. I can only say that those people are NUTS. If you can afford it go ahead. If not, don't make other ppl dig out money to pay for your wedding unless it's a gift from them. It's just irresponsible.

When we got there this was what happened.

1. A woman (not our usual very sweet and nice coordinator Lily) sat us down and proceeded to spend at least 30 minutes telling us about our package and what it's 'lacking' (Funny.. when you guys sold us the package last year your colleague told us how wonderful it was)

2. She showed us before and after photos of other brides and how they can magically change them using photoshop, and how skilled their IT person was.

3. She 'warned' me that the photos I was about to see are NOT yet photoshopped and I may be disappointed with some of them, but she assured me that I will still look good after photoshopping (She couldn't have made it ruder just to get the point across that I don't look perfect hor!)

4. The stack of photos of us that she was holding was so precious that she was reluctant to let us hold them or lay them out on the table the way we prefered. She insisted on showing us the photos 3 at a time, and reminding us how good we looked in each and every picture.

5. Whenever we chucked a photo aside, she'd say she didn't understand why we did not want it. (I don't think it's any of her business). She even said Don't mind me being kaypoh ah (I mind actually) Are you insecure about yourself here? We will photoshop it! Don't reject it la! (I was telling myself to remain calm and enjoy the process with Eugene than to be bothered by her)

6. When we realised we have chosen 2 times as many photos as we should have, she quickly took the pictures away to hide, then proceeded to tell us why we needed to purchase a 2nd photo album for so many photos.

7. When I told her we are NOT getting a 2nd album and I want that pile back to discard more photos, she told her manager and immediately he came over and told us how important a 2nd album will be to us (Yah to level that table with 1 short leg?) and said we have to pay like $2800 more.


YAH RIGHT. OVER MY DEAD BODY.

8. I told him firmly that we didn't have any money to pay. (yep it's a lie. If we don't have 2.8K we're really pathetic. But no way are we handing it over to such rude people). He told me to use my credit card. I told him I have better use for the money. Now hand over the stack.

9. The woman reappeared reluctantly with the stack of photos and Eugene and I proceeded to discard more photos, no doubt causing more and more pain to the woman judging from her face.

10. A 2nd man appeared (big boss) and he said loudly WHY SAVE MONEY ON YOUR WEDDING! ONCE IN A LIFETIME YOU KNOW! 2K MORE ONLY WHAT. OTHER PEOPLE PAY MORE THAN YOU. AND YOU CHOOSE SO LITTLE PHOTOS, YOUR ALBUM WOULD LOOK UGLY LA! I HAVE TO PAY MY ELECTRICAL BILLS YOU KNOW. YOU CHOOSE SO LITTLE PHOTOS, HOW CAN I PAY FOR THE AIRCON AND THE LIGHTS?!



(Siao ah! That's your own problem! Wat's it gotta do with us!? And if our album will be ugly, why the hell does your package include so little photos in the first place?? Just so that your customers can make ugly albums?!?!?)

11. At this point I was this close to getting up and killing somebody but I put on the brightest smile and batted my eyelids and told him I'm sorry but we really do not want so many additional photos (WAIT! WHAT THE HELL AM I SORRY FOR!?)

12. He gave up and walked away. The woman proceeded to tell Eugene that this kind of money cannot save. The bride would love the photos and he has to spend. Then Eugene told her if his bride wants the photos he will pay. BUT SHE DOESN'T! (bravo Eugene!)

13. Woman sighs (how dare she sigh at us!!!!) and let us relook our photos without saying much. Probably thinking about how much less commission she's going to get.

14. We finally decided on the photos that we want and still exceeded the number a little and have to top up $65 dollars for each additional piece. We paid $585 more but were happy with our choices. The woman by now sighed every 1 minute or so, as if trying to tell us what a huge mistake we were making. We have wasted a total 5 hours with these people and SHE'S THE ONE SIGHING?!?!?!

To be honest, I thought we'd be bought over and end up paying thousands more. Maybe they were trying too hard and rubbing us the wrong way, and maybe we would have gladly handed over the money if the person serving us was kind and gentle Lily.

At the end of the day, these are just pictures. We are happy with having those we like and spending within budget and are contented. The experience of taking these photos with Eugene was more important and real than fake photoshopped pictures on paper.


And the money that we've saved from this? We can buy more thoughtful wedding favours...flowers for the bridesmaids...angpows for helpers.. the list goes on....

To the Boss of my Bridal Studio : I hope your aircon breaks down HEEHEE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

luckily the koreans are nicer! =D

the speed of time said...

i bet they are!