Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Contemporary Asian Art Fair

Eugene and I went to the Contemporary Asian Art Fair held in Suntec last week. I have never gone to any contemporary art exhibition before, other than those my grandfather used to take part in (he does traditional chinese water colour and oil paintings). As you can tell some of his wonderful genes passed on to me, from the amazing stickmen I can draw.

Anyway, YS's wife MJ gave us 2 complimentry tickets!!!! (That saved us 20 bucks!!)

These are some of the art pieces which caught our attention.

Buddha dreaming of a Starry starry night? Done by a Thai artist.


The Kung Fu babies were really cute.

A woman covered entirely with black hair, like individual strands of hair pasted on the body. And she's wearing a gas mask. Wow. I have no freakin idea what Murari was trying to tell us!

Eugene insisted on taking this. Isn't she breathtaking?


Overlapping Images by a Korean artist.


You know the cow which is flying? If you take a closer look he is actually hum chio-ing! And he reminds me of Moo ice-cream.

No these are not real books.


See I told ya!


Imagine the amount of time it took to twist wires into this.

Who is fatter/blacker? Tough choice.

This is my favorite!!!!



Even the shadows were cut out of thin metal. And look at the vibrant colour in the mirror!



Will you ever look at your used condom the same way again?



I don't know if the apple can actually go through the twig when catapulted. But I like the hairy detail and shading on the arms.


Would you buy this picture for RMB 1,000,000? Do you know what the heck it is???


An egg attacked by lots and lots of sperm!!!! If you're trying to conceive rip off your wedding photo and hang this on the wall above your pillows. Guaranteed your sperm will be very inspired to swim damn fast!


I felt so much when I saw this picture. When my two pet clown loaches (Black and Jack) died, I cried.

Yes though they are fish, they are still '3 lives', as named by the chinese artist. People often overlook that.


After walking a bit I saw this , and took a closer look.


5 lives gasping for oxygen from no more than 4cm depth of shallow chair water. How ironic. Is the artist trying to show us how difficult it is to survive in China? Poor fish.


Mama Mia! It's ABBA!



An art exhibition is not complete without some nudity. This costs RMB 5,000,000!!!!!

And this old man was telling somebody that he's got 2 paintings of nude women at home and none of them cost so much....

Ji Ko Pek....

I thought this was serene with such sweet colours. Imagine this in our new apartment with white walls and white furniture.


I just don't get this one. A photograph of sunflowers photoshopped (??) so that the background is all white! And I remember it costing quite a bit too.


According to Eugene this looks very much like one of our friends.

I wonder how he knows how she looks like without pants on.




Turnip body parts . Anyone turned on already?


Somehow this charcoal drawing reminded me of my
grandfather, though I have never seen him cycle or own a bicycle like this.




Same eyes, same nose, same lips.


Imagine the elephant flapping his butterfly winged ears to try and fly away.



A painting that looked like a blurry photograph.






A black salamander with fancy flowers on its tail. It costs SGD 24,000 and was already sold when we asked about it.


A baby one which Eugene and Choey loved! Costs SGD 5000 and comes with the little tatami!

And of course there were many other pieces which were also really nice/thought-provoking/vulgar. And most of them were really expensive!

We were so tired after 3 hours of walking and trying to appreciate each and every display. So noob! They were giving out free Coke Light and Herald Times (??) as well. Weird freebies at an art exhibition. If only they were giving away the baby salamander for free :D

No comments: